Monday, August 1, 2011

Encouragement from 'Jesus Feeds Five Thousand'

Yesterday was the last Parish Team Training session for SPP. Coincidentally, we also read about the story of 'Jesus Feeds Five Thousand'. This morning, I happened to chance upon this story again in the Gospel of Matthew and I find it so reassuring for me.

The points that struck me are
1) Jesus took the five loaves and two fish, looked up to heaven, and gave thanks to God.
2) He broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples ... (This reminds me of Fr Erbin passing the first piece of bread to me yesterday.)
3) ... and the disciples gave them to the people. (like I peeled off the second piece of bread and passed it on to my fellow catechist, Kayne. Subsequently, each catechist did the same thing.)
4) Everyone ate and had enough.
5) twelve baskets full of what was left over.
6) number of men who ate was about five thousand...

Connecting this miracle that Jesus performed to our work in the children catechism ministry, I realise that I don't have to underestimate myself due to my inadequate knowledge or experience or amount of time I can afford to dedicate to this ministry. Each of us has to face our own constraints and difficulties in life. For most catechists including me, I guess the biggest challenge is how to grapple with our careers / studies and church work. Those who are married will have one additional dimension to add on to this struggle: family life. But this Gospel story reminds all of us that regardless of all these, as long as we offer up to God any little amount of time, energy or knowledge that we have, God will equip each of us with His graces and strength to enable us to continue to spread the Good News, and He in turn will bless each of our catechetical session and transform it into spiritual 'food' to feed the young people that we catechize.

Since Jesus Christ is our only Teacher, pray to him and ask for his divine help to transform each catechetical session that we have tried to put our best effort to prepare.

May our loving God sustain each one of you with His wisdom, strength and fervour for building up His Kingdom.

With love, prayers and peace,
Veronica

No comments: