Wednesday, December 15, 2010

God's Quiet Waters For Me- Coral Sec

A lot of my colleagues have left Coral Sec for various reasons. Some have considered to leave before and some are contemplating to leave the school. Me? I was posted to Coral since Term 2 of 2004. In a fleeting glimpse, more than 6 years passed. I have not only managed to survive there as an ordinary English teacher but am fortunate enough to be 'flourishing' in my involvement in church activities, particularly in the Children Catechetical Ministry.
I had also considered leaving the school twice. The first time was to intend to pursue full-time Masters course at NIE about two years ago and the second time took place during the end of first semester 2010 when I was pondering to switch to another school. After praying, I gave up the idea or so-called 'ambition' of getting a more 'worthy' academic qualification. It was this scripture verse that changed my mind: "For in union with Christ you have become rich in all things, including all speech and all knowledge." (1 Cor 1: 5) For the second time, I did try to look for suitable vacancies in my preferred schools and institutions during the Open Posting period, but to no avail. On both occasions, I took it as God's will for me to stay in my current school.

Recently, I'm reading a book entitled A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 by W. Phillip Keller. Through reading this book, I realised that this somewhat disagreeable working place that Lord
Jesus Christ had led me to is actually the best place for me. If I were in other schools where work is more demanding, I would not have been able to multi-task and perform my duties both in school and at church. Of course, there's still much room for improvement in terms of my efficiency in performing these multiple roles in my life, but at least, I'm surviving under God's protective mantle, which I truly must be grateful about it.

In my deep reflection, I soon discover that God is with me in this seemingly 'horrible' place. It is in Coral Sec that I discover that only He can satisfy me, nothing else. I not only receive God's comforting grace there, but also God's discipline on me. (Yeah! Don't be surprised, my friends or students! Teachers / Catechists also need to be disciplined by God! Haha! That's human weaknesses!) I also gradually understand His purpose and meaning of arranging all the events in my life. It is like all the pieces falling into place and sorting themselves out into a definite pattern of usefulness. Such a realisation is so refreshing and invigorating! Thereafter, the peace of God reigns in my heart and I am resolute to stay in Coral Sec because I know that's the quiet waters that God has led me to, the only place where I can quench my thirst. I'm contented.




2 comments:

Shan Kou Laoshi said...

After ACCC2 Retreat, the way I responded to God's call for conversion is to get myself re-connect with His Word (Bible). Will attempt to read the Bible each day in school, either early morning if I have free periods or in the evening before I go home. Actually, the school can be a very conducive place for us to absorb the Word of God at these hours. Hee...

Shan Kou Laoshi said...

I've chosen this book as my catechist commissioning gift this year.